RECESSION-PROOF TRAVEL BREAKS FOR THE BORED AND BELEAGUERED

(for Mam, who loved a bargain holiday, and Dad, who loved Yugoslavia)

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bratislava and the Hotel Kijev


Enjoy the Value

I'm going to do this back to front. Accommodation isn’t the heart of a holiday, but the Hotel Kijev is a special case. A bit of an architectural bastard, a blighted teenager in the old master’s town belying denials that he ever touched the Soviet housemaid. Like most such intrusions, it has many benign and striking features of the kind that shock and ultimately perk up the family. The Kijev was built 36 years ago and must have housed a few vodka-soaked trysts in its day. It is phenomenally huge, especially given the handy size of Bratislava. If you laid the rooms end to end, you could probably put the whole of the old town inside.


From the 14th floor you can eyeball Bratislava Castle on the hill that dominates the town. And if you venture up to the castle (closed like a lot else for renovations that look like they are going to take time), what you see winking back at you is the scarlet 'Hotel Kijev - Enjoy the Value' banner wrapped around the penthouse level of your citybreak accommodation. I can’t think of any reason you wouldn’t be staying at the Kijev, unless you had more money than was good for you. There are over a thousand reviews of the place on Tripadvisor, half of them wailing about the thin walls/ racket/ unstylishness/ grubbiness of it and nearly as many salivating over its ‘retro style.’ Part of its retro style is the yellow Trabant with a blue police light on the roof parked in the lobby. At Christmas this was wrapped, parcel-style, in red ribbon with a bow on the roof.

Smartalecry aside, I found the Kijev to be clean (a few elderly stains on the yellow lino-ish bathroom tiles do not equate to dirt). It was toasty warm in minus 7 to minus 12C daytime temperatures. I paid for a single but got a twin bedded room, which was genuinely retro, with comfortable, low-lying beds, carpet crawling 8 inches up the wall, plain wood panelling and roundy bevelled mirrors. I was able to wash socks at night and toast them dry on a big old-fashioned metal radiator in the bathroom.



The staff were polite, the wifi in the lobby worked a dream and was free, and they had three or four computer terminals as well. There was a dedicated luggage room with an official guarding it, 24-hour reception, slow but working lifts, maps of the town on the wall. There were twin posters advertising stag party deals and the programme at the State Opera Theatre but there were no stag parties in sight and the receptionist was at the opera the same night I was. I told a staff member in a red and gold usher’s uniform that I thought the hotel was terrific and his eyes popped in disbelief. I don’t think he was flattered, but he should have been.


One thing all reviewers agreed on - the Hotel Kijev breakfast is spectacular, and spectacular would be one word for it. Here's what I had for breakfast every day: hardboiled, scrambled and fried eggs, spicy rashers, bacon fat bits, ham slices, spicy sausages, pork slabs, beef goulash, chicken legs in gravy, pasta, pickled and green salad, crumbles, cringles, crispies and chocolate balls, apples and oranges, orange, blackcurrant and multivitamin juice, yoghourt, cake, strudel, cream cheese wrapped in easy singles, brown, white, loaf, rye bread, rolls and baps, 10 kinds of black, green and herbal tea, coffee with hot and cold milk, chocolate sprinkler, butter, jam, blueberry, peach, honey, tinned fruit. Well no, but I could have had. William and the Outlaws would have been climbing the walls to get in.


Mulled wine at the bar or restaurant, open all day until 9.00 pm, was 59 cents, fresh grilled trout 6.50, Greek salad 2.99, Slovakian cabbage soup 1.59, beer 1 euro.


If you needed any more reason to stay here, the Kijev is a couple of hundred yards from the edge of the old town. They have instructions on their website on how to get there from the airport/ train station and they worked seamlessly for me.


My four nights, including breakfast, cost €98. God knows what kind of a multiple special offer deal it was – I booked through a Czech online company One Big Europe just a couple of days before the trip. Normal rates are rather higher, but Bratislava accommodation tends to be expensive for what you get, so this was formidable value, and I sure enjoyed it.


Bratislava Old Town


This is lovely. Not always as impeccably gorgeous as its big sister, Prague, more of a Scarlett Johanssen with tattoos, especially around the edges inhabited by the Hotel Kijev and the Tesco block. But the very heart of it is intimate and beautiful. The little town square had a Christmas Market that, unlike the ones I have seen in Prague, Vienna and Budapest, was more focused on food and drink than on selling ornaments. Around teatime, in 4 inches of snow and with the temperature at around minus 10, a band of half-shepherd/ half-sheep fiddle players in skin waistcoats with the fur outside and embroidered leggings were battering away at a tuneful drinking song and a solid crowd was tapping and singing enthusiastically. There was plenty of drinking and eating going on. All of the huts facing the centre of the square sold food and drink only. Strudel and sausages and roasted peppers and big baps with pork chops and big tangles of fried onion in them. 


You could get ornaments too, round the back. And I managed to get the Sunday singing mass for children in the little old church on the square and that was mellow.
 
There were things about Bratislava that reminded me of Dublin, remarkably the chewing gum on the pavements, a pride in modern urban trivia such as Rubberneck (a bronze street sculpture of a man emerging from a manhole featured in all the official tourist brochures), but also something of the happy underdog good cheer and the sociability.


 Opera
I was steeped. I hadn’t ever seen La Boheme on stage, and I wanted to see it, and guess what was on in the opera house when I was there! What is more, the opera-loving receptionist at the Kijev told me that I didn’t in fact know how lucky I was if I didn’t know that the cast on the night I had booked were a rare and special assembly of the best voices in Bratislava. And they were. I spent some time dressing up for this event – found a shiny green scarf for a knock-down price – and I tanked up with gluwein (watching the shepherd-sheep men) for the slide across town on the ice down to the new opera house on the river (Danube). It was a bit further than I thought so I queued for another mug of gluwein at a booth near the riverbank. What I got was some kind of herbal tea funded by a politician as a public service and they refused my donation and had a good laugh at me, so I moved along quickly.


The performance was in the new opera house on the river bank and it was yet another memorable night in an East European opera house listening to voices trained and music revered by the same system that built the Hotel Kijev. It was utterly wonderful. The ticket cost €16 online (printed out on a sheet of paper) and I was in the centre seat of the front row of the stalls. I could have patted the bald head of the conductor in the orchestra pit if I had reached out. I had a coffee before I went in and it cost about a Euro. The posh lady next to me was in trainers, but I was still glad I had dressed up for the occasion.


Sights
The Castle was closed for renovations. The town hall was closed for renovations. I visited the Primate’s Palace, which had Gobelin tapestries and a hall of mirrors and two ladies checking one ticket who were friendly and proud of the house, which they said, apologetically, was small but lovely. I told them the house was gorgeous and Bratislava was gorgeous, and it is. I’d love to go back with company in the summer and go hiking in the Carpathians and drink Slovakian wine.
Cost

I think it cost around €80 to get to Bratislava from Girona and €50 to get from there to Dublin the day before Christmas Eve. That was travelling last minute, so there’s room to do a good bit better than that but I never begrudge RyanAir a few extra bob. I ate evening meals most days at the hotel and picked up some souvenirs. Bratislava is one cheap and cheerful destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment